The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 11 Mar 2011 9:14 AM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 9 Dec 2007
    • Posts 3

Re: What is the point of Michael Carrick?

The tension regarding Michael Carrick amongst Man Utd fans is the most epic episode we have had in the years I have been a fan. Lets face the facts though... Carrick might have the highest (back) pass success rate in the team but he in truth he has been poor, in truth the whole team apart from a few exceptions has been poor. Gone are the days when Man United had a team sheet with names that just rolled off the tongue... Lets face facts, apart from our solid first choice defence, Nani, Rooney, Hernandez and scholes... We have nothing really to brag about...

United should have a team list that frightens the Barca's and the Real Madrids of this world yet those teams have benches that would displace some of our first team players... So its safe to say... We need Ferguson because if it wasnt for him, we would be suffering right now. I must admit one thing though... Unless things change... As in we actually invest in the first team like we used to, we will be switching places with Liverpool... Defending the current crop of players is an insult to the Cantona's, Beckhams, Verons and Cristiano Ronaldo's who helped bring United to the fore. 

I Love United and I will never stop supporting it and I will congratulate the squad for all its achieved, despite their influential roles this season... Literally begging 36, 37 and 40 year old players to extend their contracts reaks of desperacy and how did Fergie and United land in that position. Its sad, really it is. I will be the first to say that I dont think Carrick is of Man United quality and I dont understand Fergies logic in renewing his contract. Maybe to renew his confidence till the end of the season? I dont know but its a scary thought. The once fiery Alex Ferguson who settled for nothing less than world class is settling for mediocracy? I really dont think so.... There's more to offering players new contracts than what it seems.... I just hope I am right because if Fergie really doesnt stop relying heavily on our defence, our ever ageing players and apparent overrated emerging talent (Darron Gibson) by the beggining of next season... I see a united on the decline with no answer to the emerging threats to our position in English football. That will be a shame, all we can hope is that Ferguson knows that and has a reinforcement plan... Otherwise support the lads for whats left of the season, thats all we can do.... ForeEverUnited... My blood will always bleed Red... 

• 7 Mar 2011 6:08 PM

Like a previous post he will be good as a squad player but tbh i think we need a bit of a reshuffle during the summer

I will fight until i die
  • 7 Mar 2011 6:01 PM

He has no passion, bring on Tunnicliffe.

• 7 Mar 2011 5:59 PM

Carrick the central cog in the midfield, the one where you can always knock the ball to him if you are in trouble and you can expect him to just keep the game flowing. 

However, he has changed because that job is a important role, if you get it wrong, it is costly.. Recently Carrick has got it wrong, not being calm and making mistakes (such as slipping over the ball).

• 7 Mar 2011 5:52 PM

As unbelievable as it might sound, Steven Howard of the Sun hit the nail straight on the head today "Yet even if Fletcher had lost one of his legs in some mishap in the tunnel, he would have still been of considerably more use than Michael Carrick. This was as poor as it gets for the former England player."

• 7 Mar 2011 5:05 PM

Bench warmer. He was good back  then but *** the last few year.

• 7 Mar 2011 3:51 PM

Shame on us for slating Carrick? He has been useless all season. he did alot last season? u mean he got us knocked out of the champions leauge and seems to go invisible in any big matches we have played. Yesterday his performance was disgraceful see him trying to tackle suarez? He doesnt seem to care lacks heart,passion and the fight that the likes of keano had. All our problems our coming from midfield people say carrick was good i never rem him being good. . He was carried by ronaldo tevez rooney giggs and scholes. Only for rooney last year our season would have been more average than it was. It hurts me to watch him play for this club  that i love how has he not been dropped for being poor? BE HONEST WITH YOURSELVES WOULD HE GET ON ANY OTHER TOP TEAM? I Know some die hard fans should say we shouldn criticise our own players i find that stupid we can voice our opinions we need to revamp our squad and if we dont i can even see us making the top four next season. Look at the difference in Liverpool since they spend some money they destroyed us yesterday. I am worried for our future we are in serious trouble if we dont spend money on midfielders this summer. i am sorry for criticizing the player he is a model professional and always gives a 100% but he is just not good enough. I love manchester united but now i find myself worrying about big away games and having no confidence in the team which never happened me before, I am really worried with the direction our club is going.
  • 7 Mar 2011 3:43 PM

O.C i personally dont think we will see Hargo in a United shirt again. His contract IIRC runs out in the summer and i dont think it will be renewed. Fergie originally said a decision would be made in Jan regarding Hargo but i havent heard anything since.

I think he is done. :(. Which is a big shame.

I will fight until i die
  • 7 Mar 2011 3:16 PM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 29 Jul 2009
    • Posts 146

Carrick isn't the most "shining" or "outstanding" player but he has been a massive part of our defensive responsibilities this season and I think he merited a new contract, although just barely. Look at the City game, each time Ferdinand or Vidic was forced out of position who was covering the hole they left? Michael Carrick. He may not be outstanding or brute, and I personally cannot wait for Hargreaves to be back to fitness again (hoping he'll be the same bulldog style player we brought years back) as I'm pretty sure he's overdue by now? however he does get the jobs done that need to be done. Just not in glossy fashion.

• 7 Mar 2011 2:21 PM

People won't appreciate carrick until we get injuries like it happened last season.Carrick did alot then,but ungratefull fans keep slating him.Shame on you guys.Shame on you
    MAKE ME
  • 7 Mar 2011 1:47 PM

carrick is a nothing player, gives the ball away, careless in possession, gets caught out holdinbg it for too long and is very poor at marking/blocking, see bayern munich game last season for that........

• 7 Mar 2011 11:55 AM

7 passes. Nice spot there. I would get 8 passes if I am in his shoes. Wanna bet? Haha.

Carrick. So pissed off with this guy seriously!

My hometown is not Manchester but I will paint it red
  • 7 Mar 2011 11:36 AM

Man it irks me to see Carrick in the team. He has been plays at united for a few years and he plays like its his first game - no creativity, no pace and no heart - something that is a must for the middle of our mid-field. The day i see him and scholes in the middle, i start saying my prayers! Fletcher has to start every game for united - PERIOD. Fletcher with a broken foot is still better than Carrick (I know i shouldnt be saying such harsh words, but im just irritated with his performances of late and specially that against Liverfool!). We defaintely need a CAM who can get us 10-15 goals a season and who is good at set pieces. United lack that since Ronaldo left and have no creativity down the middle. With Scholsey's career coming to end, im sure fergie will look to bring one in in the summer. Cant wait for this!!!
    RED DEVIL FOREVER
  • 7 Mar 2011 11:00 AM

I have tried my best to defend Carrick over this season and last, but yesterdays performance was the final nail in the Carrick coffin as far as im concerned.

Me and my mate watched the game and counted how many times Carrick passed the ball forward successfully (not counting passing it straight back from where it came from), we counted in a 90min game of football...7 !!! which is pathetic at best.

Not to mention the attempt of a tackle he made on Saurez during Liverpool's first goal....again it was pathetic at best.

And for the seccond goal, ok nani's clearence was awfull and totally missed timed but carrick was cought so flat footed when he tried to head it back out it was rediculous

HAS TO BE REPLACED IN SUMMER!

• 7 Mar 2011 10:50 AM

jeffwood22:

Jay Singh:

The question is why can't fergie see this? Even if he is not being given money to buy players, why re-sign Carrick? Would have Carrick played worse if he's contract wasn't renewed? Because how can Carrick be worse than he's current useless form? And fergie still chooses him over Fletcher? Is Anderson injured? Fire Rio also, he's a prima donna whose wages could be used elsewhere. Fergie got beaten by Kenny who hasn't coached for the last 20 yrs, fergie should be ashamed, and resign at the end of season or sooner, 'cos we are not going to win anything with a manger who lacks vision and  way past he's sell by date.

FERGIE WE HAVE NO MIDFIELD EVER SINCE KEANE LEFT, WE WERE LUCKY THAT RONALDO'S QUICK FEET  HELP US WHEN OUR MIDFIELD SHOULD HAVE BEEN EXPOSED BUT YOU THOUGHT A BUNCH OF BELOW AVERAGE PLAYERS WILL MAKE UP THE LOSS OF RONALDO,

YOU WERE WRONG AND TODAY WE ARE PLAY THE PRICE FOR YOUR EGO. WE LOST BECKS, RONALDO, VAN NISTEROOY, STAM ETC.  ALL THROUGH YOUR EGO. IN TURN WE GOT DJEMBA (fired), CARRICK (hopefully will be fired), KLIBERSON (fired) ETC. NOT YOUR FINEST DECESIONS.

Go fergie, we rather have your assistant coach, hopefully the FA will be ban you from Old Trafford, and someone else can pick the team.   

you should be ashamed to call yourself a man utd fan, to say so many rediculous things like you just have

no midfield since keane left, is that why we have won 7 major trophys since he left? and no way we won them because of ronaldo you need a whole suqad to win trophys not 1 player

you do realise dalgleish left coaching in 2000 not 20 years ago

we lost ronaldo coz we were offered 80million pound not coz of fergies ego, and we sold ruud for the benefit of the club coz he had a problem with ronaldo, fair enough with beckham and stam but after beckham we had ronaldo who became the best player in the world so clearly it was a good move

fergie should resign? f-u-c-k right off that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard a utd fan say a true fan which your clearly not doesn't want the most successful manager in history to resign fans like you aka 'glory hunters' make me sick

I actually believe that everything said at 1st post were absolutely spot on harsh, but nonetheless spot on! the last midfield pair that earned respect were Scholes & Keane (up untill 03/04 only btw) & since then we didnt buy a midfielder worth mentioning, Carrick is a very tame, low paced, dull, coward, awful midfielder, he isnt a creative man, nor an anchor man, nor a tough tackling midfielder, nor a goal scoring one...he is just horrible!

we won 7 major trophies, but not cos Carrick was a superstar, nor was Gibson, nor Scholes (at this age with his low performances & low goal scoring & assits record for the past 4 years), nor Gibson (who is a young Carrick), we won it cos we had a very solid backline with Evra & Vida coming to aid Rio, & a very strong forward line with Rooney, Tevez & Ronaldo (whom scored 74 goals on their own in 07/08) & our midfield was the worst compared to all the top teams in europe (compare us plz to Inter, Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Liverpool...) this midfield is awful, there is no doubt about that, if you cant see it, then ask a chelsea or an Arsenal or a Bayern fan or any team in the world, about which midfielder of our team he would love to see in his...the outcome should be fun, in your delluded case shocking!

As for Fergie, he is the best manager in history there is no doubt about it! but he has his many many flops in the transfer market! & over the years he's been known for giving too much chances to players who turned out to not deserve it AT ALL. what we are seeing now is a live example. I know he didnt have any transfer funds to work with, but the Glazers said they will put money for next season's transfers...hopefully we ll see.

Untied till we die
Page 4 of 7 (101 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »