The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 26 Mar 2012 4:37 PM

Re: no more average signings.

JoeOfMUFC:
    there is only so much you can achieve by buying cheaper options who are decent players, compared to expensive players who can take a team apart. if you make 100 average signings, you might find 1 ronaldo in there somewhere. the point is, to win the champs league, you need special players, players who think differently to your average players. players who take less time on making a decision, or take that one less touch to speed play up. fine margins can win you trophies. signing players such as goetze/hazard/eriksen/neymer/ganso (i'm not saying we should sign neymar or ganso not that we have a chance but just mroe examples) will give you a much better shot at winning champs league in future. signing player like young/anderson/carrick will not. i consider man utd in the second tier of football clubs atm. to take us to that next level we need players that are or will ve on the next level, players who can confuse defenders and run them ragged. i know these sorts of transfers are expensive but it's what quality players cost these days, and as fergie ahs been in the business so long, he thinks the prices are ludicrous. you wanna be the top club, sign a couple of top players. if you are happy playing second fiddle in europe then don't.
    There is a lot of players all over the world, more than you can even imagen, if you have good scouters there is no need to pay a lot of money for over rated players that will come as divas and only play for money, no for the club and at the end of every season they will be looking for another team (just for money) because they don't love the shirt.
  • 26 Mar 2012 4:28 PM

89cruefan2:
    Or how about £57+ million on Carroll and Suarez and then finding out that your team is being outscored by the likes of Sunderland, Blackburn Rovers and Norwich... Two of which have had problems with getting consistent strikers, one of them was promoted this season and well Blackburn Rovers are fighting relegation....
    Forget their team being outscored mate, a team with 60m worth attacking duo has no player with more than 9 goals. And only two players with more than 5 goals (only one of which is an expensive striker).
  • 26 Mar 2012 4:28 PM

I would keep Owen as we could do with his experience and knack for scoring important goals.I would sign Hazard and either Martinez or Eriksen and Clyne then we will be sorted.
  • 26 Mar 2012 4:17 PM

I think your getting average signings confused with average money. We have bought alot of top quality players for a cheap price and there doing brillaintly or have done brilliantly, look at ronaldo for instance. People have this idea that if we spend 40m on a player there world class and going to bring so much to our team, where as you could buy a carrick or a nani for half the price and do as good of a job if not better. I dont think any of our signings are average, we have some flops occassionally but what side doesnt its all trial and error at the end of the day.
    Paul Scholes our midfield maestro!
  • 26 Mar 2012 3:21 PM

So what average signings have we made then that have gone straight into our first team??? I cannot think of any over the past couple of years really... Before anyone says Anderson he has the potential... Just his injury problems is completely ruining any chance of that potential becoming consistent class (Unfortunate and such a shame).
    mancrh:
    How about splashing on two strikers, someone like Aguero or Dzeko, would they win us the CL? Maybe Suarez? Oh I know, how about Carroll and Torres for a combined 85m?

Well said

Or how about £57+ million on Carroll and Suarez and then finding out that your team is being outscored by the likes of Sunderland, Blackburn Rovers and Norwich... Two of which have had problems with getting consistent strikers, one of them was promoted this season and well Blackburn Rovers are fighting relegation....

I will fight until i die
  • 26 Mar 2012 2:49 PM

united don't buy big name players we create them.
  • 26 Mar 2012 2:44 PM

I agree with most of it.
    Don`t hate on my opinion!
  • 26 Mar 2012 2:28 PM

mancrh:
    FOREVER SCHOLES:
    Inb4 Silverster "I agree man, I think we need to sign Eriksen Hazard and Martinez, they are a must. I'd then sell Owen Berbatov. I think thats what is needed if you know what I mean man"
    Take the 'if' out and it's identical.
    And be less generous with punctuation.
    A player once tried to nutmeg Vidic
    He will always be remembered
  • 26 Mar 2012 2:24 PM

JoeOfMUFC:
    there is only so much you can achieve by buying cheaper options who are decent players, compared to expensive players who can take a team apart. if you make 100 average signings, you might find 1 ronaldo in there somewhere. the point is, to win the champs league, you need special players, players who think differently to your average players. players who take less time on making a decision, or take that one less touch to speed play up. fine margins can win you trophies. signing players such as goetze/hazard/eriksen/neymer/ganso (i'm not saying we should sign neymar or ganso not that we have a chance but just mroe examples) will give you a much better shot at winning champs league in future. signing player like young/anderson/carrick will not. i consider man utd in the second tier of football clubs atm. to take us to that next level we need players that are or will ve on the next level, players who can confuse defenders and run them ragged. i know these sorts of transfers are expensive but it's what quality players cost these days, and as fergie ahs been in the business so long, he thinks the prices are ludicrous. you wanna be the top club, sign a couple of top players. if you are happy playing second fiddle in europe then don't.
    Veron 20 odd million complete disaster, Berbatov 30 odd million didn't live up to his full potential, these were anything but average signings but it just didn't work out for them. What i'm trying to say is spending millions on supposedly world class players doesn't always work. Is it guarenteed that if Gotze, Hazard, Martinez, Erickson..etc...etc will take the premier league by storm? No it's not. Granted i'd prefer to sign Martinez than Tiote (no disrespect to him) but you never know what is going to happen. Carrick when we signed him was one of the best midfielders in Europe although to be fair to him now, he's had a blinding season, Anderson was the new Ronaldinho but because of injuries he never had the chance to prove it. Young i think is a fantastic signing who will play for us for many years to come. How you can say we are a second tier club i will never know. This year due to many reasons we didn't dominate in Europe like we normally do (until we play barca lol) but with the players we have we are set to dominate again for many years to come.
  • 26 Mar 2012 2:08 PM

mancrh:
    How about splashing on two strikers, someone like Aguero or Dzeko, would they win us the CL? Maybe Suarez? Oh I know, how about Carroll and Torres for a combined 85m?
    Would love to see Aguero here but the grapevine in Spain says he's off to Madrid in the summer.
  • 25 Mar 2012 8:12 PM

FOREVER SCHOLES:
    Inb4 Silverster "I agree man, I think we need to sign Eriksen Hazard and Martinez, they are a must. I'd then sell Owen Berbatov. I think thats what is needed if you know what I mean man"
    Take the 'if' out and it's identical.
  • 25 Mar 2012 8:00 PM

• 25 Mar 2012 7:50 PM

FOREVER SCHOLES:
    CLASS!
    A player once tried to nutmeg Vidic
    He will always be remembered
  • 25 Mar 2012 7:42 PM

You do realise that Carrick is and was the major cog in United success over the last 5 years or so. This season hes been utterly sublime and in the 07/08 CL side he was sublime. Young was brought in to be an option for rotation- nothing more nothing less. Anderson was funnily enough rated just as highly as Ganso at the same age and he was bought with the intention of growing into a world class player.

If you want a club that regularly spends tens of millions of pounds on players then theres a club not so far away from OT doing just that. They're also behind United in the table.

What is the point in life if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?
  • 25 Mar 2012 6:48 PM

no more average signings.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)