The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 12 Feb 2017 12:53 PM

Re: Chris Smalling

foxbat:
    tim-scoreboard:
    It's down to Chris if he keeps in the team, which is how it should be; Bailly is nailed in when fit, so its down to the other 3 to battle it out. Chris did nothing yesterday to suggest he should be dropped for the next match, so I expect him to partner Bailly in the week
    To me he did. He was climbing and holding people all the time. He got caught a few times and even in the dying minutes he did that and conceded a free kick. He will partner because Jose will play Rojo at left back when he is fit and Jones is not fit still. I feel that Rojo and Bailly would be a much better combination.
    What defender doesn't hold and concede free kicks? But if you think he was guilty of defending poorly, then so be it; as I said in the last bit... I didn't think he did anything that would warrant him being dropped.

In regards to partnering Bailly, all of our defenders have flaws and on form and fitness, my choice would be Jones. Rojo has still to convince me and although there is no doubting his improvement this season, his reckless streak still concerns me. Also, if you think Smalling holds too much, have a close look at Rojo, he's not much better, but is perhaps more skilled in the art than Chris

• 12 Feb 2017 12:42 PM

tim-scoreboard:
    It's down to Chris if he keeps in the team, which is how it should be; Bailly is nailed in when fit, so its down to the other 3 to battle it out. Chris did nothing yesterday to suggest he should be dropped for the next match, so I expect him to partner Bailly in the week
    To me he did. He was climbing and holding people all the time. He got caught a few times and even in the dying minutes he did that and conceded a free kick. He will partner because Jose will play Rojo at left back when he is fit and Jones is not fit still. I feel that Rojo and Bailly would be a much better combination.
  • 12 Feb 2017 12:38 PM

• 11 Feb 2017 5:42 PM

Everytime Smalling gets the ball and an opposition player goes near to him I get very nervous. I would like to see Baille and Rojo at CB. Even today Smalling was holding on always. And now everyone knows that he always holds.
  • 11 Feb 2017 5:29 PM

I think the back four were all quite good today. Blind at left back always scares me but they all did what they needed to confidently enough for the most part.

Bailly really impresses me on the ball sometimes. He makes the odd mistakes but I'm not sure we have a defender who is more composed on the ball then Bailly. Both him and Smalling were impressive today for me.

Finally, Valencia had a good game going forward. He still gets caught out of position a little too often for my liking but he put in a number of threatening crosses and he put them in from good positions. Got to the byline on a number of occassions and could easily have got an assist with one of those crosses.
  • 11 Feb 2017 5:29 PM

leighmanc:
    don't see him as a 1st choice united defender but he's a good squad player to have around
    I don't see him as a first choice either, but fair play for him playing well the past two games.
    Lots of poets play football but poets don't win titles
  • 11 Feb 2017 5:28 PM

don't see him as a 1st choice united defender but he's a good squad player to have around
  • 11 Feb 2017 5:22 PM

Chris Smalling

Smalling in my humble opinion has been very inconsistent at times looked like bamby on ice and just generally being inconsistent at key moments and most importantly hasn't become the leader we needed him to be. His moment of stupidity with his red card against Man City, his own goal in the Fa Cup final. He's been poor this season but one thing we know about Jose is that defenders improve dramatically under his influence we've seen with Rojo who was in my opinion the worst left back I've ever seen and now he's had quite the turnaround. Could Smalling be on the cusp of the same? Mind you it was against two mediorce teams and he'll need to perform against the top 6 for the jury to not be out but I just wanted to give him some praise. He played well. Keep it up Chris.
    Lots of poets play football but poets don't win titles
Page 7 of 7 (98 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7