The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 13 Jun 2017 9:48 AM

Re: How good is Morata ?

hodor the giant:
    I Believe:
    jonta:
    I haven't seen a lot of Morata how good is he

Not good enough to play in RM first team, that's why you haven't seen much of him?

After Griezmann debacle, I suppose we are now forced into touting for squad level players, lets be thankful its not 'bargain basement' time!........................ yet!

Lets take Alexis Sanchez for example. When he was purchased by Arsenal, Barcelona considered him to be about 4th or 5th in the pecking order as far as attackers go. He certainly wasn't a guaranteed starter. Yet it was plain to see had ability and Arsenal capitalised on this and signed one of the most effective attackers they've had in a long time.
    It was a good post. IBelieve's comments were based on Morata's last season and in Sanchez's last season for Barcelona in the La Liga he had one more start start than Iniesta and two less starts than Messi and more minutes than Pique. In Sanchez's last season at Barcelona he was a starter. In Morata's last season for Real Madrid, he was a squad player. And there's no shame in that
    Lots of poets play football but poets don't win titles
  • 13 Jun 2017 9:47 AM

hodor the giant:
    To get into that team Morata would have to displace Benzema and given how good the latter is I think it's fair to say that'd be difficult for any striker to do.

I was simply responding to Jonta's original post, "how good is he"

Morata isn't good enough to get into the RM first team, doesn't make him a bad player, it means he isn't as good as Benzema, as you helpfully point out

• 13 Jun 2017 9:42 AM

I Believe:
    jonta:

Not good enough to play in RM first team, that's why you haven't seen much of him?

After Griezmann debacle, I suppose we are now forced into touting for squad level players, lets be thankful its not 'bargain basement' time!........................ yet!

To be fair, Morata not being "good enough" to get into the Real Madrid team isn't a damning indictment of his ability because Real Madrid have perhaps the best strike force on the planet right now. To get into that team Morata would have to displace Benzema and given how good the latter is I think it's fair to say that'd be difficult for any striker to do.

Another problem I have with this line of reasoning is that it could easily have been applied to other players that have gone on to have fantastic careers at big clubs. Lets take Alexis Sanchez for example. When he was purchased by Arsenal, Barcelona considered him to be about 4th or 5th in the pecking order as far as attackers go. He certainly wasn't a guaranteed starter. Yet it was plain to see had ability and Arsenal capitalised on this and signed one of the most effective attackers they've had in a long time.

I myself think Morata would be a very good signing for us. He fits the bill of a "Mourinho-type" striker well and already has underlying statistics that place him as one of the best in Europe.
  • 13 Jun 2017 9:32 AM

jonta:

• 13 Jun 2017 9:21 AM

He is a very good Striker and this is his true position,, No: 9.....
  • 12 Jun 2017 7:46 PM

busbybabe86:
    Contrary to what 7 says: Morata is a Striker. He is not and never has been a left-forward or a no:10. Morata has only started 7 games in his senior career in a different position to Striker. He is a no.9 and nothing else.

The interesting thing about him is that he has only featured in 170 senior games, 30% of which were substitute appearances. He has only played 7000 minutes of senior football so far in his career. Which is interesting. I am considering it a testament to his ability that despite never really having a solid position in the spotlight he has such a good reputation. Because, his reputation is verified by his stats.

A very interesting stat of Morata's is his goal to minute ratio. It is superb and up there with some of the greats of all time. Morata scores a goal every 120 minutes. To put that in context that put's him ahead of Ruud, Henry, Suarez and Kane. In fact the only player with a better goal to minute ratio that has ever played in the EPL is Aguero.

Second interesting stat: He has 23 assists. Very, very few Strikers have that kind of goal and assist output.

Third: he has 30 yellow cards.

He likes a good scrap and puts himself on the line. He's aggressive with and without the ball. He runs at people and likes it when defenders try to tackle him. He likes to counter-attack. He try's long shots and he bags a few. He also has a high pass completion and through ball rate.

Contrary to what 7 is saying, he isn't a solid squad player. He's the real deal. A top class Striker that will score, assist, scrap, dribble, tackle and ride tackles.

Good post. I see no reason why he can't play on the wing his dribbling might not be of the highest caliber like say Neymar but he can dribble he may not be as fast as a Bale or a Robben but he's no slouch and I don't see why he can't play as a 10 he may not have the vision of a Muller but his passing is far from awful. He's a versatile player.
  • 12 Jun 2017 7:32 PM

wliucci:
    Very talented young striker, with a lot of stylistic similarities to Rashford. Athletic, pacey, skillful, great movement and workrate off the ball, also has a knack for scoring big goals in big games.

Still plenty of room for improvement IMO, especially in regard to decision making and use of the ball. Not fully mature player but the potential is there to be a top top CF I think.

This is a pretty accurate assessment. Lets hope he reaches his full potential.
  • 12 Jun 2017 5:55 PM

busbybabe86:
    I am considering it a testament to his ability that despite never really having a solid position in the spotlight he has such a good reputation.
    The reputation comes from having a knack for scoring in the biggest games, CL semis, final, Coppa Italia extra time winner last year and so on.

But you pointed out something earlier that's worth reiterating. This guy hasn't played much football in his career. So we need to be careful here. He has a terrific goals to games ratio, but that's playing for the biggest teams in leagues that have a tendency to inflate attacker stats.

Lingard also scores in big games, but I don't see people say he is one of the best midfielders in the league.

Morata looks immensely talented for sure. But if the fee is as much as paper says it is, then we are paying for potential rather than the finished product.

• 12 Jun 2017 5:54 PM

busbybabe86:
    I am considering it a testament to his ability that despite never really having a solid position in the spotlight he has such a good reputation.
    The reputation comes from having a knack for scoring in the biggest games, CL semis, final, Coppa Italia extra time winner last year and so on.

But you pointed out something earlier that's worth reiterating. This guy hasn't played much football in his career. So we need to be careful here. He has a terrific goals to games ratio, but that's playing for the biggest teams in leagues that have a tendency to inflate attacker stats.

Lingard also scores in big games, but I don't see people say he is one of the best midfielders in the league.

Morata looks immensely talented for sure. But if the fee is as much as paper says it is, then we are paying for potential rather than the finished product.

• 12 Jun 2017 5:39 PM

Contrary to what 7 says: Morata is a Striker. He is not and never has been a left-forward or a no:10. Morata has only started 7 games in his senior career in a different position to Striker. He is a no.9 and nothing else.

The interesting thing about him is that he has only featured in 170 senior games, 30% of which were substitute appearances. He has only played 7000 minutes of senior football so far in his career. Which is interesting. I am considering it a testament to his ability that despite never really having a solid position in the spotlight he has such a good reputation. Because, his reputation is verified by his stats.

A very interesting stat of Morata's is his goal to minute ratio. It is superb and up there with some of the greats of all time. Morata scores a goal every 120 minutes. To put that in context that put's him ahead of Ruud, Henry, Suarez and Kane. In fact the only player with a better goal to minute ratio that has ever played in the EPL is Aguero.

Second interesting stat: He has 23 assists. Very, very few Strikers have that kind of goal and assist output.

Third: he has 30 yellow cards.

He likes a good scrap and puts himself on the line. He's aggressive with and without the ball. He runs at people and likes it when defenders try to tackle him. He likes to counter-attack. He try's long shots and he bags a few. He also has a high pass completion and through ball rate.

Contrary to what 7 is saying, he isn't a solid squad player. He's the real deal. A top class Striker that will score, assist, scrap, dribble, tackle and ride tackles.

• 12 Jun 2017 5:36 PM

Very talented young striker, with a lot of stylistic similarities to Rashford. Athletic, pacey, skillful, great movement and workrate off the ball, also has a knack for scoring big goals in big games.

Still plenty of room for improvement IMO, especially in regard to decision making and use of the ball. Not fully mature player but the potential is there to be a top top CF I think.

• 12 Jun 2017 5:21 PM

One of the best strikers in Europe and will do better than Zlatan.
    If you want to see the truth, then have no opinions.
  • 12 Jun 2017 5:17 PM

Great question. He's a squad player of the highest calibre. A jack of all trades, master of nothing. He can play as a striker as a winger and as a number 10. He would benefit the team greatly.
  • 12 Jun 2017 5:06 PM

How good is Morata ?

I haven't seen a lot of Morata how good is he and what position does he play and would he benefit the team ?
Page 17 of 17 (254 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17