The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 10 Dec 2011 6:46 PM

Re: Sir Alex's greatest achievement as United manager? (ManUtd.com thread)

Website Editor:

To mark Sir Alex Ferguson overtaking Sir Matt Busby as the club's longest-serving boss, we'd like to know your answer to the following question:

What has been Sir Alex's greatest achievement as United manager?

There are many possibilities of course, and not all of them are about winning trophies. You might, for example, consider the work he did in the early years to overhaul the youth system at United, or the way he has helped the club to grow in stature across the globe.

The best and most interesting responses will be published in a Fanzone article on ManUtd.com.

Thanks in advance

The Editor, ManUtd.com.

His title is bequethed by Queen Elizabeth. That alone deserves mentioning as he is tied to the throne of England. But, Alex has been a fixture since '96 and a lot has happened since that time regarding the world at large. On most occasions when I see him at a game, he's always chewing gum. Call it a habit to relieve nevers or whatever, but he should not be nervous about anything concerning him and his role as permanent manager of MU. His position is secure with "the Glazer family", and MU is a formidable team in the Premier League.
  • 21 Jun 2011 7:35 AM

Sun86:
    The first few things that come to my mind are the Class of 92, the Treble and knocking Liverpool of the perch, winning the 20th title!!
    Sorry, I mean 19th! I'm so looking forward of winning the 20th :D
    Manchester United always!
  • 21 Jun 2011 7:33 AM

The first few things that come to my mind are the Class of 92, the Treble and knocking Liverpool of the perch, winning the 20th title!!
    Manchester United always!
  • 21 Jun 2011 1:19 AM

in england it has to be the no.19 doesn't it,in europe he's doubled sir matt's trophie record no disrespect to sir matt busby

• 4 Feb 2011 4:55 PM

Here is a tiny part of my senior thesis. i did it on Aex Ferguson. If anyone is interested, I can sent the whole thing which is 40 pages. So far Alex Feguson’s goal of winning another Champions League Cup along with surpassing Liverpool in number of titles has not been realized, and many would exclaim “Luckily!” if the opposite would lead to Ferguson’s parting with the team. Imaging Manchester without Sir Alex seems almost impossible for “he had become synonymous with the place, his moods the club’s moods, his spirit the club’s spirit, his belief in attacking football central to the blueprint of what made the place unique” (White, p.393). Indeed, Sir Alex Ferguson can easily claim that Manchester United is his club. Through extraordinary hard work, patience, skills, cleverness, psychological maneuvers, ambition, and discipline, he was able to convert a mediocre team into a machine for trophies. No one today can deny his enormous contribution. By following the history of the team, with specific focus on the personality of Sir Alex Ferguson, this work has traced the process of a dream coming true for many. What a lot of people do not realize when they watch Manchester United Football Club winning title after title is that the success grows on a foundation of hard but meticulously performed work. And that can be done only by a strong man with incredible character, a man with passion and desire for success, a man willing to go the extra mile (sometimes many miles) in order to achieve what he sets his heart on. Strong convictions and extraordinary perseverance despite all odds have rendered Ferguson in the glory place he currently resides in. Even his strong temper and single-mindedness were used by him to the best. United supporters received a blessing in disguise when Ferguson was appointed a manager back in 1986. Since then they have been living an ongoing dream, and the reason for this could be easily summed up in two words: Alex Ferguson. The man has set a new standard for leading a football club for anyone that is to come. Sir Alex credo that “no player is bigger than the club” and that no one is irreplaceable might make sense but a lot of watchers are doubtful whether there will be anyone able to match his all-consuming drive for success, ambition, and incredible ability to lead the team the way he did. However, the best part is that, since Ferguson does not have any intentions to retire as “He is so passionate and can’t live without football. It’s instilled in him and is in his blood. You cannot ever take that away and the day that happens will be the day he stops breathing”. (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=389632&cc=5901), the dream will continue. And there, at United’s stadium, is a huge inscription saying: “Welcome to Old Trafford, The Theatre of Dreams.”
  • 2 Feb 2011 11:49 PM

IT WAS KNOCKING LIVERPOOL OFF THEIR  PERCH...........

• 31 Dec 2010 12:21 PM

He has had so many great achievements, winning the Treble in 1999 has got to be one of the best, signing fantastic players such as Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Cantona Berbatov & Nani..............the list goes on!!!!! The man is a genius & we as a club have been very fortunate to have him as our manager & may he continue for many more Glorious years ahead, his passion & enthusiasum are next to none & thats why the team MANCHESTER UNITED are the GREATEST!!!!!!!!

• 22 Dec 2010 10:35 AM

Sir Alex Ferguson's greatest achievement will come in May 2011 when we will be the greatest team for winning the most championships outright, but so for it has to be the 1999 treble

• 22 Dec 2010 4:10 AM

I believe that Sir Alex's greatest feat as manager of Man Utd, and consequently as a manager of football, is his ability to 'unite' millions of people worldwide, regardless of their age, race, religion, or location, under the banner of Manchester United and football as a whole. As a young person thousands of miles away from Old Trafford, my passion is as strong for the club as if I were 2 blocks from Old Trafford. For showing people worldwide how to play football the proper way, for showing people how to be a professional, and for showing people how to have passion for something, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, Sir Alex.

• 21 Dec 2010 6:34 PM

the treble...matching up to Liverpools titles and this year knocking them off the *** perch..and lastly signing giggsy from under citys noses
  • 21 Dec 2010 1:46 PM

TheTreble

Lasting so long in the time of the disposible manager

Winning , Rebuilding, Winning, Rebuilding.....basically being willing and able to build a winner, know when to take it apart and rebuilding it again, a couple of times.

My posts get reported because I am so much more intelligent than the reporters and they can not deal with it
  • 21 Dec 2010 1:36 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson is the best. A legend. A prought for United. I respect him. For me, he is one of the best coaches ever. Thank You Sir Alex, for all you did for us.
  • 21 Dec 2010 1:13 PM

Absolutely everything that Sir Alex has achieved is based on his very rare, totally human ability to be 100% focussed, moment by moment, on his goals both for himself and for his team, coupled with his total commitment to doing the necessary work, moment by moment, until each  of those goals is achieved and then combining these two qualities with his genuine delight at his recognition of each individual achievement of those around him and of himself.

To witness these abilities is a constant priviledge, joy and a truly inspiritational experience.

To have developed these abilities and applied them an a daily basis throughout his life, for as long as he has, including his stay at United, is clearly his greatest achievement.

Congratulations and thank you Sir Alex..

• 21 Dec 2010 10:48 AM

Lol! This man is superhuman. His greatest achievement though has been to survive and re-invent himself at the theatre for 24 years!!!! Not sure anyone can realize that kind of feat in this life time, the man simply is an enigma. Don't know when anything like that has ever lived. He appears to have the right cards at all times, even when u think its almost done. We all, mortals of all  walks of life should toast to his health and wish him so many happy returns at Utd. 

• 20 Dec 2010 11:14 PM

Hi!

No doubt the 1999 Treble is the greatest of all in term of trophies. But in term of his United's career as a manager, i think that his greatest achivement is yet to come. As a huge Manchester United fans, i believe SAF will be very satisfied and delight if he can manage Man Utd to overtake Liverpool achievement by winning the 19th league title and the 20th...and also winning more Champions League trophy.This will make Man Utd the greatest ever English Club and shut up and erase all the Mersysiders only pride.hahahaha....

Gary Lugard

Malaysia

Page 1 of 8 (120 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »