The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 17 Apr 2012 12:37 PM

Re: Time to give Young the boot?

garp01us:
    FOREVER SCHOLES:
    and when Ronaldo did it he was a legend and doing it for the team. Strong logic there.
    ^UP^

This. It's hypocritical going at Young for this when C. Ronaldo was much worse and more disgraceful and even more of a diver than Young is. Besides, Young isn't a diver. He doesn't dive, i.e. go to ground without contact. He never does that. All he does is exaggerate fouls when contacted by a player. I'm not defending Young's actions here, but I'm just clarifying the fact that Young doesn't dive.

It's not a good part of the game, exaggerating fouls, but sadly, everyone does it, and we have to get used to this. Nowadays, what we see is that if players get a contact, they normally go down. Defenders often exploit this fact and normally get fouls as a result, but no one scrutinizes them. Just an interesting fact here. It is also the same with keepers.

Young's going to get a lot of stick for this, but there will come a spell when he wouldn't do this for a while, and no one would speak about it. It happened with C. Ronaldo, Rooney, Ruud, etc. It's going to happen with Young until he does this again.

• 17 Apr 2012 12:09 PM

FOREVER SCHOLES:
    and when Ronaldo did it he was a legend and doing it for the team. Strong logic there.
    ^UP^
  • 17 Apr 2012 11:25 AM

Mikael Larsson:
    mark.k.:
    Young's not a diver.
    He is. It's not even a question about it.
    mark.k.:
    There was contact (although slight) for both penalties.
    Contact doesn't mean that it's automatically a foul nor that you can't take a dive. So what's your point?
    mark.k.:
    He was moving at pace and got knocked over fair and square.
    Since when is diving fair and square? If he would have gotten knocked over, why did he feel the need to make such blatant dives? Why not just let the foul take you down?
    mark.k.:
    The referees have not come out and said they made a bad decision.
    Like that's any indication. Most bad decisions goes without anyone coming out and saying anything about it... That goes for referees as well as players and managers. Suarez still thinks racial slurs are okey.
    mark.k.:

Accept it.

Move on.

I can move on and will do that (new games are coming up and this discussion will fade away like most of them). I will celebrate the title (if and when we get it) and I will cheer for Young. But I won't accept it. It's not about us getting a faulty penalty. It's not about us winning the title or if we deserve it or if some games might have ended differently dependending on such things as the referees. I'm sure we would have won both the game against QPR and Aston Villa anyways so it's not even about us getting those points.
    It's about the intentional cheating. About a rotten behaviour that (I feel) don't belong in our club.
    In the past we have had 'alleged' divers in Nani, Rooney, Ruud, Ronaldo, Rafael. I don't recall such venom directed at these players as you are with Young.
  • 17 Apr 2012 11:23 AM

dlakadejan:
    IMO ... he is not a diver, just making the theatre out of every contact in the box

there was a contact, we all saw that

and contact is a penalty by the book

IMO ... he is not a cheater

he needs to stop with the theatrics fall and everything will be fine

there will be time when there will be no whistle, and as usual, that will happened in the crucial moment

talking about next season of course Smile

I have to agree with you there. He is not a diver, these are two isolated incidents in which he saw contact coming and made the most of it. If I were SAF I would have a word in his ear and tell him to not make it a habit, but apart from that theres no real problem.
    Can Manchester United score? They always score! x Aussie United Fan x
  • 17 Apr 2012 11:10 AM

IMO ... he is not a diver, just making the theatre out of every contact in the box

there was a contact, we all saw that

and contact is a penalty by the book

IMO ... he is not a cheater

he needs to stop with the theatrics fall and everything will be fine

there will be time when there will be no whistle, and as usual, that will happened in the crucial moment

talking about next season of course Smile

PREMIER LEAGUE IS ALL ABOUT MANCHESTER UNITED WHILE OTHERS ARE FIGHTING FOR LEFTOVERS
  • 17 Apr 2012 9:47 AM

He can go down if he wants to but please for heavens sake, he needs to cut out the theatrics.

This incident is leaving a bad atmosphere and at some point the decisions will start to go against us

Yes even United Fans too.

If we have to resort to past divers just to justify Ashley Young's own situation then that's already bad enough.

It's Squeaky Bum Time and We've got the experience now to cope
  • 17 Apr 2012 9:08 AM

@ mancrh

Damn right im complaining about his season. You state that "7 goals and 10 assists in 26 starts", but yet how many of those assists where a couple yard pass from a dead ball situation? How many of those goals where scored in the actual games he started? as some where from sub appearance's, would it not be better to state the actual amount of games played?! Rather than just started, otherwise IMO you can chulk a few of those "stats" off.

Also how many goals and assists where in BIG important matche's, excluding the Arsenal game, as our youth could of beat them that day!

What is his cross's success rate?

How often was he able to beat his man succesfully?

I could go on and on, but im not, Do you really think he warrants the "close to 20 millon" we payed for him, also take into consideration that he was in the latter stage of his contract? Because i dont!

Like i stated, i will give him his due, due to it being his 1st season with us, and that he still has time to change my mind, but im not holding my breath!

• 16 Apr 2012 8:12 PM

mark.k.:
    Young's not a diver.
    He is. It's not even a question about it.
    mark.k.:
    Contact doesn't mean that it's automatically a foul nor that you can't take a dive. So what's your point?
    mark.k.:
    Since when is diving fair and square? If he would have gotten knocked over, why did he feel the need to make such blatant dives? Why not just let the foul take you down?
    mark.k.:
    Like that's any indication. Most bad decisions goes without anyone coming out and saying anything about it... That goes for referees as well as players and managers. Suarez still thinks racial slurs are okey.
    mark.k.:

Accept it.

Move on.

I can move on and will do that (new games are coming up and this discussion will fade away like most of them). I will celebrate the title (if and when we get it) and I will cheer for Young. But I won't accept it. It's not about us getting a faulty penalty. It's not about us winning the title or if we deserve it or if some games might have ended differently dependending on such things as the referees. I'm sure we would have won both the game against QPR and Aston Villa anyways so it's not even about us getting those points.
    It's about the intentional cheating. About a rotten behaviour that (I feel) don't belong in our club.

• 16 Apr 2012 5:54 PM

If we win the League with a point do you think any UTD fan would be that bothered about Youngs antics, everyone cheats doesn`t matter how big or small it does have a effect on the game but they all do it, get over it, having said that contact was made with Young in the box, PENALTY, end of, thats the rules, what he does after wasnt pleasant to the eye and unfortunately as drawn all the attention. To ask the question, time to give him the boot , WHY, he is starting to look the part now. did you ask the same question for Ronaldo ? I know Young is not in his class but he did have a name and still has for diving. If SAF as told him to be more carefull after the QPR game, (again contact from behind doesn`t matter how minimal,) then he hasn`t listened. When the rest of Football stop cheating then and only then would I want United to follow. When it says 20th title League winners 2011/12, I for one will not give to hoots what Ashley Young did and I can bet that applies to SAF too.
  • 16 Apr 2012 4:04 PM

Mikael Larsson:
    Stanley Jones:
    Interesting that the opinion on whether it was a penalty or not are divided. Most people are condeming Ashley for his theatrical dive but as one poster put it, if it had been Wayne or Antonio would the Op be asking for them to be shown the door. I agree that blatant cheating must be punished, but to be fair EVERY club needs to get a grip with the problem, If the OP is taking the moral high ground then surely Chelsea need to show the door to Drogba, Mata, Lampard, Cole, Liverpool -Suarez, Carroll, Gerrard. Every club have their share of divers so please don't crucify Young. Also don't forget that against Wigan we should have had a pen for handball and likewise against Villa, I believe that Young has now got the label of a diver and will not be getting decisions in the near future. As I have already mentioned Wilkins has already sowed the seed of doubt by blasting Young as a diver, whilst Yorlie has defended him. Who is right? I believe the OP is over the top with his comments.
    Every player is a different case and I can't tell you how I would react if it was Rooney or Valencia. But one thing is sure, I would not sit quiet. And to clarify something, I do not want Ashley Young kicked out, I want someone to give him a good slapping, a hair dryer or whatever so that he realises that this isn't the United way and that he stop it as soon as possible.

The problem of other clubs is for other clubs to deal with (but I wouldn't mind FA to do something too if they actually can do it in a fair way for once) . I'm not expecting the United-way to be preached at Chelsea or Liverpool. Imagine Daglish telling Gerrard or Suarez that they should behave according to the United-way. What I'm expecting or hoping to expect is us being a little better. Just because other teams have divers doesn't mean that I will accept our player doing it. I don't care that the referee gets it wrong (oh, I do but that's another discussion) once in a while, sometimes we gain from it sometimes it goes against us. What I care about is the blatant cheating. And don't give me the "it's the referees job to spot it"-speach... for me that's like saying that it's the police's job to stop you from successfully robbing a bank and that it's okey to do if they fail to catch you - nevermind that it's wrong to rob the bank to start with.

And it's nothing strange for old players of clubs to defend even the most undefendable act so bringing in Yorke to the discussion is just of no value.
    Young's not a diver.

Accept it.

Move on.

If you cannot accept it, please name one team anywhere in the world and in any year since the game was invented that have won a league without a borderline decision going their way in one or two matches and we will all regard that team as the best team that ever existed. If you cannot find such a team, please move on from the Young issue.

Hindsight is 20 20
  • 16 Apr 2012 3:26 PM

Stanley Jones:
    Interesting that the opinion on whether it was a penalty or not are divided. Most people are condeming Ashley for his theatrical dive but as one poster put it, if it had been Wayne or Antonio would the Op be asking for them to be shown the door. I agree that blatant cheating must be punished, but to be fair EVERY club needs to get a grip with the problem, If the OP is taking the moral high ground then surely Chelsea need to show the door to Drogba, Mata, Lampard, Cole, Liverpool -Suarez, Carroll, Gerrard. Every club have their share of divers so please don't crucify Young. Also don't forget that against Wigan we should have had a pen for handball and likewise against Villa, I believe that Young has now got the label of a diver and will not be getting decisions in the near future. As I have already mentioned Wilkins has already sowed the seed of doubt by blasting Young as a diver, whilst Yorlie has defended him. Who is right? I believe the OP is over the top with his comments.
    Every player is a different case and I can't tell you how I would react if it was Rooney or Valencia. But one thing is sure, I would not sit quiet. And to clarify something, I do not want Ashley Young kicked out, I want someone to give him a good slapping, a hair dryer or whatever so that he realises that this isn't the United way and that he stop it as soon as possible.

The problem of other clubs is for other clubs to deal with (but I wouldn't mind FA to do something too if they actually can do it in a fair way for once) . I'm not expecting the United-way to be preached at Chelsea or Liverpool. Imagine Daglish telling Gerrard or Suarez that they should behave according to the United-way. What I'm expecting or hoping to expect is us being a little better. Just because other teams have divers doesn't mean that I will accept our player doing it. I don't care that the referee gets it wrong (oh, I do but that's another discussion) once in a while, sometimes we gain from it sometimes it goes against us. What I care about is the blatant cheating. And don't give me the "it's the referees job to spot it"-speach... for me that's like saying that it's the police's job to stop you from successfully robbing a bank and that it's okey to do if they fail to catch you - nevermind that it's wrong to rob the bank to start with.

And it's nothing strange for old players of clubs to defend even the most undefendable act so bringing in Yorke to the discussion is just of no value.

• 16 Apr 2012 1:36 PM

Ashley is a good player no question about that but if he starts pulling tricks like that to often refs are going to get wise and he is going to get sent off
  • 16 Apr 2012 1:33 PM

desperad0oo7:
    JOHN HONG:
    http://gifs.gifbin.com/052009/1241699338_drogba-***-its-a-disgrace.gif
    it just disgusting, im not an ashley young hater, think he been a good signing, but this and the dive agaist qpr where disgraceful!! somone should tell him he is good enought to help us win games with out been a cheating C***( and maybe give him a good slap))
    You are my Solskjaer my Ole Solskjaer You make me happy when skies are grey
    Oh Alan Shearer was******* dearer please dont take my Solskjaer away
  • 16 Apr 2012 1:03 PM

Simon H:
    Unfortunately it is the times we live in. You feel contact you go down and it's a penalty. Whether we agree with it or not, it is just how football has moved on. Gary Neville pointed this out in his Sunday paper column. Thank the europeans. Remember Klinnsman ?
    It started well before Klinsman. We can't really blame overseas palyers. Remember Rodney Marsh admitted diving in his days together with the blatant Francis Lee.
  • 16 Apr 2012 1:02 PM

united-t-i-d:
    We should of never signed him, close to 20 mil for someone in the last stage of their contract.

Iv never thought he was good enough, and still dont see that he is good enough. He is not any good at taking on his man, nor have i seen him put in quality cross's in the box regulary, like he was "apparently" so good for Villa.

Also i have not seen his quality set piece plays, that alot of people where stating when we signed him. But in his favour i wll state that it is still his 1st season with us, and has time to change my mind yet. But im not holding my breath!

Regardless of the fact that he obviously dived, and this shite should be booted out of the game. But to complain about his season? Or about us signing him? He had the second most assists in the league in the 4 seasons before we signed him (second only to Cesc), says a lot when for the better part of his Villa career he played with the likes of Heskey. This season he suffered from two month+ injuries, yet he still managed 7 goals and 10 assists in 26 starts. Not to mention that while you're complaining about his set pieces, you might want to remember that the only corners we trasformed to goals this season were his.
Page 1 of 7 (101 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป