The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 29 Jun 2012 12:50 PM

Re: Blog: United at the Euros

coralred:
    Look forward to tonight's German show
    This was the most interesting match of the tournament so far. For the neutrals, this was classic football. And how Italy played like Germany and won comfortably! The score line would have been more emphatic if one or more of those chances in the second half were also converted. What is to be appreciated is that Italy, unlike in earlier years, never shut shop despite taking a two goal lead so early in the game. And that is why the match remained interesting till the end. If they can maintain this form on Sunday, Spain is going to find it real hard. As you have pointed out nobody plays with just two in the middle now. Italy had Andre Pirlo staying just in front of the back four in a 4-1-3-2 formation and worked very well aginst the 4-2-3-1 of Germany. Balotelli's eaqlry goals ensured that they did not have to go wide to create further opportunities. For the first goal in fact Cassano had gone to the left and crossed. Sunday's match will be an interesting tactical debate, two distinctly different styles clashing for glory in the continent.
  • 28 Jun 2012 1:29 PM

purefootball:
    Similarly 4-4-2 as aformation, especially with the two banks of 4 staying so deep is not a present day tactical means to success on the pitch. At best that will avoid defeat and I wonder if Roy Hodgeson's aim was that.
    From what I have seen and read so far, Roy Hodgeson is a firm believer of 4-4-2 and that is set to continue. Perhaps in World Cup 2014, England will be th eonly side playing so inflexibly with a formation destined to fail in this age. The sooner, starting with the friendly in August, England changes to 4-2-3-1 or better still 4-3-3, better possibilities of international success. Two in the middle just won't do against anybody now. And finally Nani has also bowed out. But Portugal can certainly hold their head high, they provided the best alternative to tiki-taka so far. The strikerless Spain looked toothless and the coach's lack of faith in Torres is very difficult to understand. Negredo was a passenger. With Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets in the middle, why oh why can't they field Pedro, Torres and Nawas up front? Look forward to tonight's German show
  • 27 Jun 2012 10:48 AM

redzepplin:
    I think the time and space given to Pirlo was perhaps the most significant contributor to Italy's supremacy.
    I agree withb your observation 100%. Andre Pirlo made all the difference. But I am not sure whether his manager had indeed instructed Rooney to stay close to Pirlo. Rooney by nature follows the Manager's instructions very seriously and sincerely as we have seen many times in the past when he was asked to do something other than what he normally does. Tactically I am more with Rio than Capello. Ox and Jones definitely should have got more minutes on the pitch and the exposure would have been invaluable to them. Similarly 4-4-2 as aformation, especially with the two banks of 4 staying so deep is not a present day tactical means to success on the pitch. At best that will avoid defeat and I wonder if Roy Hodgeson's aim was that. Let us all hope Smalling & Jones form the core of future with Welbeck up front supported by the likes of Jack Wilshere, Oxlade, Young and Walcott. That will be the team to watch. But right now, Ronaldo's big night against his colleagues is a teaser. I hope Nani scores to day, he can beat Kasillas from outside. All the best to them!
  • 25 Jun 2012 2:42 PM

purefootball:
    Rooney was sadly out of match practice for the first game and the collective let him down during the second
    Well, well, did it really look so? For the first game, yes he lacked match sharpness. But last night, wasn't he supposed to close down Pirlo? Wasn't he also sloppy, giving away possession very cheaply? And very unlike him, after losing the ball he wasn't making the usual fight to regain lost possession. I think the time and space given to Pirlo was perhaps the most significant contributor to Italy's supremacy. Otherwise, welcome back, so nice to see your post here.
  • 25 Jun 2012 2:14 PM

And finally the whole residual burden of a season fell on the team rather heavily. May be winter breaks are much more than essential. Penalty shoot out is a lottery and it is certainly not shameful to have got eliminated through this route. But a critical look at the preceding 120 minutes clearly reveals the short comings, strategic and otherwise. The passion and commitment displayed in the earlier games and strongly present during the first half sadly evaporated as the game progressed and that finally counted. Ashley Young was subdued through out the actual tournament and the sparkle during the games leading to the tournament never surfaced. Rooney was sadly out of match practice for the first game and the collective let him down during the second. I was also hoping that Phil Jones will get a chance but substitutions became essential up front and anyway Glen Johnson finally decided to play big during the last game. Well done, Welbeck! He had a very good tournament in terms of the work rate and leading the line. I am also happy with visible improvement in Ashley Young's defensive capabilities. This will certainly work wonders for the club. Nani has got the biggest game of his international career ahead of him and let's all hope he, along with Ronaldo, succeeds where many others have not.
  • 23 Jun 2012 4:05 PM

As usual, another German Blitzkrieg this time mowing down the brave Greeks. Rooney and the other Man United English players would probably see extra time of play as I think the Italians' and the English performance would cancel each other out and that would result in a draw on regular full time. If the Italians don't make any changes late into the game then expect them to head into extra time. Roy has to hold his trump cards closely. He may play Andy Carroll with Rooney and bring Welbeck on late in the second half to replace Carroll. Welbeck may then play off Rooney to create or score a late decisive goal. Then Ashley Young may make way for another defensive midfielder.
  • 23 Jun 2012 2:02 PM

redzepplin:
    What I adore now is the improvement in Ashley Young in his defensive duties.
    Yes, indeed. Really happy to see a very valid observation and Ashley Young will be able to add much more value to the team next season. I feel happy about Welbeck too. He has really grown to be the attacking lead of an England team and he is going to develop to be a much more accomplished player in the coming years. Glen Johnson has not been playing well; appears a bit casual and will it not make sense to give Phil Jones the chance? Jones will bring in more intensity and commitment and will certainly add to the pace of our attacks. Otherwise, Ronaldo has finally arrived on the international scene and his combination with Nani is working wonders for Portugal. Wonder why Evra has lost his place to Clichy! Spain played fantatically well against Ireland but just kept the ball and forgot what to do with it in the next game. France with all their internal squabbles may not offer much resistance tonight but Portugal certainly will. And if Gerrard maintains his form and the passion he so well exhuberates now, having got the arm band, Italy may not pause that many problems. Both quarter finals have been of good quality and the Germans appear unstoppable.
  • 22 Jun 2012 1:35 PM

Rooney got a very important eighty odd minutes and for the next match he will be back to his elemental best. What I adore now is the improvement in Ashley Young in his defensive duties. True, he used to track back even earlier, but now under Roy, he is becoming a fantastic addition to the defensive solidity at the left back. This is all the more important that Evra is no more what he used to be two seasons ago. Nani has been superb so far, the crosses to Ronaldo just couldn't have been any more precise. Thank you, Editor for opening this blog.
  • 21 Jun 2012 4:58 AM

Rooney once again showed his necessity. Welbeck is definitely more important than Carroll as he has been in better form. Hopefully ManU will be taking England to final. Respect from Bangladesh.
    SOMETIMES YOU HAVE NOISY NEIGHBOUR YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT SAF
  • 20 Jun 2012 4:59 PM

Welbeck has Pace than Andy carroll... Andy carroll is superb on AIR but welbeck can do it too... so if u ask me.. Welbeck with Rooney is much better choice for England.. HONESTLY... but ofcourse Andy carroll can do a world of good in set pieces!
    pinoyNUMEROunoUNITEDfan
  • 20 Jun 2012 2:40 PM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 7 Jun 2012
    • Posts 5

Welbeck has speed, what he needs is a little more instinct on when to shoot the ball and when to dribble it further. I hope United will have two strikers scoring more than 20 goals in the same season.. Remember we cannot leave it to goal difference again. Good luck Welbeck and Rooney to take England through.
  • 12 Jun 2012 10:19 AM

Blog: United at the Euros

Hello there... fancy contributing to our rolling blog on Euro 2012? We're following the United players involved in the European Championships and we'd like to know your thoughts on Welbeck, Young, Evra, Nani and co. Post your comments in here as the tournament unfolds and we'll publish some of the best ones in our Fanzone blog, 'United At The Euros.' Thanks in advance.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)