The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 3 Oct 2008 8:55 AM

Re: Alan Smith

i dunno y u r like that smith was a legend at Man Utd lol my favourite player shame he went 2 newcastle lol

btw i am a guy and i think he is well hot Big Smile

• 3 Oct 2008 2:28 AM

Ok, just came to bump this, since it dissapeared.Anyone have any ideas why the above post is in my Smith thread?

• 12 Feb 2008 2:48 AM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12 Feb 2008
    • Posts 1

Mohammed Al Ali:

Man U is not a term United fans refer to themselves as. The term is only used by other supporters as a complete and utter insult to our club. The "u" is meant to be "you" by the rival fans.

An early example of its usage is this chant by West Brom fans: "Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave". The origin of "Man u" is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards.

Liverpool and Leeds fans copied this with their own man you /u versions to insult all of the lads who died at munich.

"Man U Man U went on a plane Man U Man U never came back again"

and..

"Man U Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "munich").

I hope this makes it clearer that saying man u is an insult, particularly to the older supporters and to see United fans using it now is shameful. I hope a few might read this, understand and spread the word.

So... Please REFRAIN from using this term ever again!!!!!!!!

Sorry Mo but I am one of those OTHER supporter, and I must admit I do not use the term man u when referring to either the club or the supporters, but most distinctly use manure.  Just in case you thought I miss-spelt that it is MAN URE not man u.  I think the majority of other fans do not even see the relevance or the insult in man u, or do you really mean man you. Big Smile

As for the absolutely moronic paranoia about Munich being an acronym and have some sort of mystical meaning, get a grip will you, or should I say u, you have been watching far too many episodes of the X- Files.  Next you (or u) whichever will be telling me that NASA stands for “Need another seven Astronauts” as some mysterious foretelling of the Challenger explosion and not “National Aeronautics and Space Administration” cos the latter is what every other sane and sensible person in the world thought it was. Big SmileBig Smile

Just accept the fact that the vast bulk of football supporters dislike u because your fan base is populated predominantly by glory hunters, and the blues of Man city have more true manky unions (ok maybe a little unnecessary play on words but find it hard to resist) in their ranks than u reds.  You are like Chelski and Arsenhole if you got rid of your corporate boxes and your foreign fan base, by which I mean those that do not have manc’s in the family, or were born there or brought up there when they were kids then you would probably be treated just like any other footy fans (but then again maybe not) so as this is unlikely to happen just accept the fact that you/u are disliked because u’r full of *****.    “u”  “you” Munich all that *** or should I say manure.

I dislike you /u because I live in a small town called Falkirk and they will never be any better than mid table and that is because a huge number of locals support one or the other side of the bigoted old firm instead of their home team but I support Falkirk because this is where I live I am not a glory hunter.  If you are a manc then fine be blue or red if you are not a manc then get a life and a real team to support

Sorry to you sensible reds but this was just too much manure man ure is what we call you as man ure is what you are, but such is the lot of the football supporter.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

I am sure you have some really nice and lovable terms of endearment for us.      

• 10 Feb 2008 11:17 AM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10 Feb 2008
    • Posts 7

Alan Smith

Utd player for sure

if he wasnt injured he would of been there

he tackled scored made oppurtunities

he was a older lesser class Wayne Rooney

but only just

• 9 Feb 2008 5:43 PM

joby3:
    what a load of rubbish smithy was a great player for man u as fergie onnly let him leave as he wanted first team footie he was fantastic against roma when we won 7.0 just a shame he got injured as he didnt get chance to show us his best
    We won the game 7-1 and Smith is a great player.Mainly,why did you call us Man u?

• 6 Feb 2008 1:59 PM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 6 Feb 2008
    • Posts 1

what a load of rubbish smithy was a great player for man u as fergie onnly let him leave as he wanted first team footie he was fantastic against roma when we won 7.0 just a shame he got injured as he didnt get chance to show us his best
  • 4 Feb 2008 10:35 PM

david the red:

Alan Smith was never a United player, and never would have been.

That has to be the most stupid thing I have ever heard.  Smith was a fantastic player for us, yes he never was the most prolic of strikers but then again Rooney hasn't been as prolific as he has been but he is still a great striker.  I hope he does well for Newcastle and gets his chance in the England Squad again. 

It is fortunate that most players are not like me or there would be anarchy
  • 4 Feb 2008 3:22 PM

There's a bit of exaggeration in the article, but you can't deny that Alan Smith was a passionate United player, a fan favourite.
  • 4 Feb 2008 2:16 AM

The pictures suggest otherwise...
  • 4 Feb 2008 1:19 AM

Alan Smith was never a United player, and never would have been.

• 3 Feb 2008 8:24 PM

An excellent summation. Pity it was a load of cobblers.

• 3 Feb 2008 7:24 PM

What a load of rubbish ALAN SMITH proved to be. Sir alex dosn't often get many things wrong but signing ALAN SMITH was deffinatly one of the worst signings I can remember him making-since I started supporting man utd over 10 years ago!!!!
  • 3 Feb 2008 5:29 PM

Alan Smith

Since this legends section is somewhat erm, sparse you can have this. Originally posted on United Lounge, it is reproduced here by kind permission. Enjoy

Alan Smith

Alan Smith was the least likely transfer of 2004, a move from Leeds United, to Manchester United. Not only that, he was a boyhood Leeds fan who had won the Supporters Player of the Year award two years running, the only player ever to have done so. So it was difficult to imagine a move across the Pennines, but with Leeds unable to pay his wages, Smith issued a come and get me call to the Manchester club, claiming they were the only team who would improve him as a player.

Despite his messy exit from Elland Road (with fans unfairly proclaiming him to be a Judas), he made a fine start to his United career, scoring against Arsenal in the Community Shield, one of the few bright spots in the 3-1 defeat. Injuries cost him in his first season, as he missed vital games against Chelsea in the Carling Cup Semi Final, and the FA Cup Final defeat to Arsenal. He did impress however when injuries to van Nistlerooy and Rooney left him as the only fit striker, and he greatly improved his standing with a series of stunning performances. Despite the injury problems, and being dropped to the bench in the latter part of the season, he still managed 36 games and 10 goals. Not prolific by any means, but certainly a respectable total.

Never a heavy scorer in his Leeds days, he was often deployed in midfield, and it was here that Ferguson decided to play him, seeing in him the ability to become the long term successor to Roy Keane. "Roy sees characteristics in Alan that he saw in himself as a young player, which could help Alan develop into a very good player in that position." High praise indeed, particuarly as the manager stated when he first signed that he had bought Smith to play up front, not in midfield. He got a chance to prove himself in that role early on when Keane was injured against Liverpool, in what proved to be the final match of his United career. It was an unconvincing start, and in the absence of several key players, the midfield, and Smith in particular came in for heavy criticism. After an embarrassing 4-1 defeat to Middlesboro, Keane criticised a number of players, Smith included, in an interview the club deemed too explosive to air. He answered his critics in the best way possible, with a determined performance against Chelsea, in which another under fire player, Darren Fletcher, scored the only goal.

Smith cemented his place as an Old Trafford hero by turning down an England call up against Denmark, choosing instead to play for United's reserves against Bolton. As he got to grips with his new position, he began to recieve plaudits for the great improvement he had made, though one part of his game - goals - suffered from the switch. He was to score only one goal in 2005/2006, in a 3-1 win over Charlton at The Valley.

Disaster was waiting around the corner though. Just as it appeared he had settled into his new position, he was to suffer a tragi-comic injury that even cruciate club members Wes Brown and Ruud van Nistlerooy couldn't bear to see. With United trailing Liverpool 1-0 at Anfield in the FA Cup, Smith charged down a free kick from John Arne Riise. The seemingly innocuous block resulted in a broken leg and dislocated ankle, an injury that Ferguson described as " One of the worst I've seen". In his own words; "I felt my leg go from under me as I went to block a free-kick. When I looked down, the leg was lying one way and my ankle was pointing towards Hong Kong so I knew I was in serious trouble." In a rare event Smith received a standing ovation from the Liverpool fans as he was stretchered off, club rivalries being put aside as it was realised how horrific the injury was.

The day after the game, it was reported that he would be out of action for at least 12 months, though after a successful ankle operation in May that estimate was cut with the suggestion he would be back by the middle of September. In a wonderful gesture for their stricken team mate, after capturing the Carling Cup, the team wore shirts with "For you Smudge" for the presentation. On seeing this, the Sky Sports commentator remarked "If Alan Smith is watching this now, there may be some tears in his eyes."

In the close season, Ruud van Nistlerooy departed to Real Madrid, forcing a rethink from Ferguson, who restored Smith back to the forward line. "We are going to convert Alan Smith back into being a forward. He will be back in training soon and should be available by the end of August or the beginning of September. He duly returned to action in a Champions League tie against Benfica as an 85th minute substitute, showing he had lost none of his commitment or desire with a series of crunching tackles.

A return to Leeds on loan was mooted, as well as a move to Cardiff to regain his fitness, which Ferguson said he wouldn't stand in the way of. Both were rejected by Smith in favour of staying at United. The player’s agent Alex Black said: "He won’t be going anywhere. He wants to stay at Manchester United and he has talked things through with the club and Sir Alex. The club has put in place a special training regime for him to get fully fit and then win his place back in the team."

He made his first start at Old Trafford since the injury in a FA Cup Quarter Final replay against Middlesboro, followed by a substitute appearance against Bolton, setting up United's fourth in a 4-1 win. On 10th April, he played a full part in one of the greatest European nights Old Trafford had ever seen, a 7-1 demolition of AS Roma, in which he scored the second goal, his first since November 2005.

Several more appearances followed, including a starting appearance in the 1-0 win over Manchester City, a day after which United were crowned champions, Chelsea having failed to beat Arsenal. Though he fell one game short of qualifying for a League medal, the Premier League granted special dispensation to recieve a medal. A week later he made a substitute appearance in the FA Cup final, playing in extra time before seeing Didier Drogba score the winner with 4 minutes remaining. His comeback prompted an end to his international exile with a call up to the England B side for a game against Albania in May. He scored the opener in a 3-1 win, and the next day was named in the full squad to face Brazil.

It proved to be a curtain call on his United career, as United chased Carlos Tevez, Smith accepted a move to Newcastle, who paid £6 million for his services. Though he scored on his debut in a friendly against Sampdoria, he has since been deployed once again mainly in midfield. With club Captain Gerimi on international duty in the African Cup of Nations, Smith was awarded the armband. His first return to Old Trafford was less than stellar, as he was sent off in the dying seconds of a 6-0 defeat.

1998 - 2004 Leeds United, 225 (57)
    2004 - 2007 Manchester United 94 (12)
    2007 - Newcastle United 23 (0)

Born: Rothwell, Yorkshire, October 28th 1980

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2