The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 13 Jun 2013 11:47 AM

Re: People be honest Welbeck and Cleverley are not good enough for utd

Both players have potential and still young. Welbeck doesn't score much in 2012/2013 because he played more deeper as an attacking mid behind the finisher (RVP), He also played in the wing too. While in 2011/2012, he score more goals both in club and Euro international because he played as a finisher. And now Welbeck plays as a forward/2nd striker and winger. He's very fast, has skills, strength, stamina, good control ball. More come to him, just need to fix his finishing.

Cleverley, well, he is inconsistent. Doesn't seem get better. May be he needs more time. For example Xavi started to show his best in the age of 29.

• 13 Jun 2013 11:19 AM

I agree with you mate!! At the moment they are good squad players, but I think there is more to come from them, I'd give them a couple more seasons before I decide weather to keep them or move them on!! Having said that, the fact we have these players should not stop us buying players that are world class now, a new injection of fresh players is always needed to stay competitive!!
  • 13 Jun 2013 10:44 AM

Cleverley is average.Welbeck as a striker,is horrible.Thats the cold hearted facts.

Cleverley and Welbeck have both been overrated by some United fans.They can turn out to be good players in the future but will never be worldbeaters.We can easily get better players but Welbeck and Cleverley will get more time here because they are academy products and Welbeck being born in Manchester,helps him alot.

Maybe Moyes can get the best out of them or maybe he will sell them off in the future.

Don`t hate on my opinion!
  • 13 Jun 2013 10:27 AM

For me Welbeck isn't bad. Scored against Madrid - when in a striking position obviously and he can score goals he just needs to be played in his actual position of striker.

Cleverley doesn't look out of place in the team for me. He mightn't steal the show most times he plays but he does a good job and has even scored a few nice goals. For his age I think he does well in a team like ours and holds his own.
    B E L I E V E
  • 13 Jun 2013 9:51 AM

Of course the are!! Welbeck ran the Real defence ragged last season after Wazza was dropped!! Clev was outstanding at the start of the season and had injury problems.
    CHILL WINSTON!!
  • 13 Jun 2013 9:45 AM

Welbeck had a few decent games for the team but even he admited his goal tally was disappointing. He made not have always played as a striker but he missed alot of one on one chances that could have won us games. His raw speed impressed me on times and scoring goals can always be improved and hopefully will come with confidence. He can learn from Pea & RVP then who knows next season. He will not be our main striker but he can certainly offer strength in depth. Cleverley decent player not a world beater and shouldn't be first choice in big games.
  • 13 Jun 2013 9:36 AM

Have to admit have given wellbeck lots of bad comments previously, but i think (maybe) there is something there worth keeping. Both wellbeck and cleverly are english - why not build a great united side based around english players! as there are many foreign OVERRATED players commanding big wages WHY?.
  • 13 Jun 2013 9:35 AM

Re: People be honest Wellbeck and Cleaverly are not good enough for utd

welbz looked like he was running on a flat battery. There was no shortage of effort, but the spark to create an ignition is not quite there. No positive end product. Rate Cleverley, think he has got potentials. What he lacks is confindece
    I still think United have a fantastic squad and with the right additions can be a force very quickly
  • 12 Jun 2013 8:13 PM

jk1982:
    andrea71:
    jk1982:
    andrea71:
    You have got to be kidding? Welbeck was our best player this season especially in both legs against Real Madrid, and Cleverley has improved as a midfielder.
    Welbeck wasn't our best player this season. I know he is a favourite of yours and you want to defend him, I also disagreed with OP but he certainly was nowhere near our best player.
    Maybe Welbeck was not our best player in general, but he did well this season. Welbeck was our best player in both legs against Real Madrid. Why do you think Welbeck is my favorite player? I defend all players on this forum, not just one player.
    I said "A" favourite because I have seen in other threads how you defend him, rightly so with some of comments about him. I'm not having a dig, just stating that he wasn't best player this season and I personally feel there were a few more who played better over course of it. I do agree that he was probably our best player in the Madrid games though.
    I believe Welbeck can improve on his finishing, and there were a few who played better over the course of the season. Plus, I never said you were having a dig about how I defend Welbeck. I believe you are a good person. What annoys me is that a fair amount of users on here are saying that Welbeck should be sold and that he is not good enough for us, which is ridiculous.
  • 12 Jun 2013 8:04 PM

Thank you op for bringing this up. I wouldn't slate welbeck but i don't know why the love for cleverley. Lol at people rating him above ando. What ando does in just 20 mins of playing, cleverley can never do in 180 mins of playing chance. Ando is one of the few midfielders who can move with the ball, creating chances through the middle, starting attack, carrying the attackers along and some pple comparing him with cleverley who to me only play side passes and one touch football, no long range pass to his game as well. And people should stop saying he's just 23(24 now). And ando made brought out the best in him in that first season they played together. Believe it or not
  • 12 Jun 2013 7:49 PM

fieryeagle:
    jk1982:
    No team has 23 world class players in their squads it's just not plausible and it's about getting strongest you can as unit in the whole.

Agree....Barac are *** if you take out Iniesta and Messi, specially without Messi.

Madrid are almost toothless without Ronaldo and Ozil.

Etihad was a dead skunk without Yaya.....and the Liverbird has no BITE without Sewerage

We are still better where a lot of players do contribute...

Cleverly may not be most talented,,,but he tries ...a good squad player

Wellback...I can't find any other player who has faster acceleration...may his bad 1st touch made him fatser :) but he is still young....let him be

Cleverley tries agreed, but is that all you want from a United midfielder someone who tries, surely you want something better than that, I don't think there is one united player that doesn't try, they may play badly but never, not try.
  • 12 Jun 2013 7:48 PM

Welbeck is still very young and is a lot better at this age than Thierry Henry was. Henry didn't score many goals as a young player and also consistently played on the wings as Danny is now. Like I said, Welbeck reminds me a lot of Henry and I hope he just has the same overall potential, yes I am talking potential and in no way comparing current Welbeck to Arsenal invincibles version of Henry, early Henry is being used here.

As for Tom, he is a guy you want to like because he does a job and he has come up through the ranks but to be honest he isn't a top level player and doesn't look like he has the capacity to be one. He shows the odd flashes of good player but never anything on a consistent basis that makes you think 'hold on lads, we got ourselves a player here' in the way a Wilshire does. Forgive me for all the Arsenal references lol.

• 12 Jun 2013 7:26 PM

Welbeck doesn't appear to have the natural striker instincts but does offer something in other areas, Madrid game. Cleverley for me doesn't, weak in the tackle, can't head a ball and can't recall a killer pass all season, sorry not for me. Also when Cleverley gets talked about can anyone tell why "he's only 23" gets mentioned followed by "there is time for him", yet Wellbeck gets mentioned and no age noted, correct me if I am wrong but isn't Wellbeck younger. I would give Welbeck another season cannot see Moyes giving Cleverely the same, not with all the so called interest in midfielders.
  • 12 Jun 2013 6:36 PM

they are products of the youth that did not have to be bought, are on lowish wages and are english. we have always had these type of players in the squad. would we buy them from else where? no. but they are decent hard working players that are needed in your squad. but i do agree that they are not our top players and should not be regarded that, or we'll end up heading down hill. overall good squad players. 20-25 games a year
  • 12 Jun 2013 5:37 PM

thier not good enought to be first choice but as squad players their excellent!
    You are my Solskjaer my Ole Solskjaer You make me happy when skies are grey
    Oh Alan Shearer was******* dearer please dont take my Solskjaer away
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >