The views expressed on this noticeboard are expressed by the fans themselves and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United or any of its representatives. The viewing and posting of messages on this noticeboard is subject to the Forum Terms, which can be viewed here.
Faq
Contact Us
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  • 14 Aug 2012 6:00 PM

Re: Why we don't call our club Man Utd *grimace*

No, the OP is wrong, Man Utd is NOT derogatory, the term ManU has connotations with the Munich tragedy. And it's general ignorance when the media report United as "ManU" it's obviously not meant in an insidious fashion.
    In De Gea I Trust
  • 14 Aug 2012 1:26 PM

I personally think we should just reclaim the use of Man .U.... We shouldn't let other clubs supporters (or whatever you should call them) dictate what we can or can not call our club. Especially since Man. U is a common abbrevation used in many different Manchester United areas. From being the team name on telly ManU-ManC to the stock exchange to even being used by our own manutd.com and people on MUTV.

If we continue to make it into something taboo then we let the ones who use it to taunt us and that horrible plane crash win.

• 13 Aug 2012 5:20 PM

Well, I know that United fans do not say ManU but i didn't know that Man Utd is wrong too.
  • 11 Jul 2012 11:30 AM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11 Jul 2012
    • Posts 1

man. u
  • 19 Jun 2012 3:14 PM

Colin Jarrett:

Man Utd is not a term United fans refer to themselves as. The term is only used by other supporters as a complete and utter insult to our club. The "u" is meant to be "you" by the rival fans.

An early example of its usage is this chant by West Brom fans: "Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave". The origin of "Man Utd" is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards.

Liverpool and Leeds fans copied this with their own man you /u versions to insult all of the lads who died at munich.

"Man Utd Man Utd went on a plane Man Utd Man Utd never came back again"

and..

"Man Utd Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "munich").

I hope this makes it clearer that saying Man Utd is an insult, particularly to the older supporters and to see United fans using it now is shameful. I hope a few might read this, understand and spread the word.

So... Please REFRAIN from using this term ever again!!!!!!!!
    Angry

Just want to bump this post due to seeing regular use of this phrase on the forum.. I'm not having a dig at anybody but we should all know by now what is right and wrong to say about our own club... This is just for future reference :)
    Ronny come home
  • 22 Jul 2011 3:06 PM

Seriously the only grimacing around here, is this thread.......Man Utd or you means *** all......loads of people I grew up with are scousers and boltonians and they all use the banter of which you speak....but none of it relates to Man you........the above MUNICH thing is usually Manchester United never intended coming home........or Man Utd......so does that mean those names can't be used. Some football fans just want an argument with anyone, even their own
  • 21 Jul 2011 7:13 PM

One up Man Ship:
    I signed up here specifically because I wanted to bump this particular thread because (as far as I can see) this is one of the main places this ridiculous myth has gained web wide notoriety. it's nonsense...Not the chanting, but the fact that the term was made (or indeed specifically used) as an insult to Munich. The term was created entirely by news networks in the 40s and 50s as a means of accomodating the word in print, and was not only used by some fans during the times and can be heard on old Pathe news reports, but was also used by the club on merchandise and has been used over the years by players and managers ...This photo of a United pin depicting Geoff Bent being a prime example of the club using it from the Millman collection. http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/decorativeedison/GeoffBentBadgeC1957.jpg This bizarre rant which may or may not originate here, but is one of the clearest and most obvious stages for it's propaganda, is not only wildly exaggerated, but seemingly the only piece of evidence on the matter. The Poster of the year over at Redcafe made a very good thread on it, with the assistance of legendary red Tom Clare (who grew up with the babes and has written books on his years supporting the club) about how it's a complete myth that's never had any real credence - it's in the newbie section of that site so I can't give a link you'd be able to see. The notion that it's older supporters who feel this and the young need to be informed of our "history" is the oddest one, since the older supporters (like Mr Clare) not only grew up with the term used innocuously, but also don't care, and it's the younger supporters, fuelled by some sort of mad "I'm gonna be a better supporter than you" quest for spurious knowledge that spread it around like a vicious badge of honor. The internet has made this myth, it's simply that. It's a crass and pretty rubbish term that isn't used in Manchester simply because "United" is all that is needed to identify the club, but it is one that has been used, and one which has no relation to Munich what so ever. Anyone claiming they don't use it because they know about our history is a hypocrite who doesn't actually know anything about our history, or indeed the history of football, but has merely picked up some nonsense off the internet based on hear say and drunk pub speculation. Stop this nonsense. Thankyou and goodnight..
    "oh hai, you all are wrong. I have some reliable sources that I am not going to share. please trust what I am about to say even though it all sounds like my own worthless opinion"
  • 21 Jul 2011 7:00 PM

Ruud Peru:

Blah blah blah guys should just take a chill pill and discuss stuff that actually matter, I don't see how I refer to my beloved club should make someone so mad... "please go hang"...

*** off. clearly you aren't a real fan who knows the history of the club. Beloved my ***... you'd think someone with the experience of keller would know better than to say "Man .U." on TV during an interview in which they are supposed to be HOSTING our club. Idiots gonna idiot also, let me clarify this. Man Utd is NOT insulting. When you type Man .U. the forum automatically switches it to Man Utd (as it should) so the posts above are all referring to Man .U., not Man Utd. maybe they should disable this function in this particular thread?
  • 19 Jul 2011 10:33 AM

So does it bother you that the club's website is www.manutd.com? Just wondering if the club should reconsider its abreviation. 

• 19 Jul 2011 7:41 AM

Blah blah blah guys should just take a chill pill and discuss stuff that actually matter, I don't see how I refer to my beloved club should make someone so mad... "please go hang"...

• 16 Jul 2011 11:18 PM

Re: Why we don't call our club Man .U. *grimace*

luckylucas:
    Some strange people on here....Man .U. is insulting cause it reflects the use of Manure in a song about Duncan Edwards...the mind boggles, some people need to get out more! I have no problem with Man Utd (United) or even Man Utd .....although that is a bit shitty and childish But the Manure thing is hardly a biggy, its now different than us using scum, vermin etc etc Ps U even chages to Utd on here as per the second part

You need to read the original post again.  The derogitory term is "Man .U." and ESPN are using the term way too much.  Stop using it.  It is starting to pi$$ me off:

Man .U. is not a term United fans refer to themselves as. The term is only used by other supporters as a complete and utter insult to our club. The "u" is meant to be "you" by the rival fans.

An early example of its usage is this chant by West Brom fans: "Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave". The origin of "Man .u." is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards.

Liverpool and Leeds fans copied this with their own man you /u versions to insult all of the lads who died at munich.

"Man .U. Man .U. went on a plane Man .U. Man .U. never came back again"

and..

"Man .U. Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "munich").

I hope this makes it clearer that saying man .u. is an insult, particularly to the older supporters and to see United fans using it now is shameful. I hope a few might read this, understand and spread the word.

• 15 Jul 2011 4:05 PM

Some strange people on here....Man Utd is insulting cause it reflects the use of Manure in a song about Duncan Edwards...the mind boggles, some people need to get out more! I have no problem with Man Utd (United) or even Man Utd .....although that is a bit shitty and childish But the Manure thing is hardly a biggy, its now different than us using scum, vermin etc etc Ps U even chages to Utd on here as per the second part
  • 19 Apr 2011 6:39 PM

ESPN in the States constantly uses Man Utd and it really pisses me off. We are going to need a whole lot of us to complain to them for this to be fixed.
  • 19 Apr 2011 1:44 PM

Thanks for clearing it up, now i can spread the word. But if using the term Man Utd was insulting, but the song "glory glory Man United" was song that had been sung by United fans since the 80s?
  • 9 Jun 2010 6:55 PM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 9 Jun 2010
    • Posts 5

I know what you mean! There's this one girl I know... She thinks saying "Man Utd" makes her sound like an expert. No... No... No... I just smile tightly because she's sensitive but I really want to yell: STOP SAYING THAT!
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >